Sunday, May 22, 2011

Matchbox Car Mat

This is a car mat that I made for a friend's son's birthday. It's an acrylic painting done on a sheet of mat board (the stuff that picture frame matting is made out of.) Josh has one, though a tad less detailed, and when he has friends over, the play mat is one of the favorite toys.

It's for Matchbox cars, Hotwheels and the like.

I really try to make birthday presents special. I've seen Josh's friend play with Josh's car mat a dozen times, driving cars around the streets, parking in the parking spaces, and then flying the planes off of the runway.

I had a spare mat board laying around so I thought, "Why not?"

Here are a few close-ups of the "attractions":


McDonald's. Always a kid favorite! And an upgrade from Josh's car mat McDonald's; a drive-through!


A community swimming pool, conveniently located on the same cul-de-sac as the house!


A playground with swings, monkey bars, slide, and a merry-go-round.


An apple orchard. I'm a Yankee at heart.


There's home!


No community of Air Force families would be complete without an airport! Here's a short little runway wide enough even for a B-52!



And a fishing pond.


It was a lot of fun to paint, quite fast as the details were quickly done, but the outcome is great! I hope the little boy is enjoying his new car mat!

No comments:

Post a Comment